Domestic Violence Awareness
Alaska has the highest rate of domestic violence nationally and the Mat-Su Borough the highest rate in Alaska
- Flags of Awareness - Annually SCHC organizes the flags of awareness event. This project provides community members the opportunity to create colorful flags with a message of hope, love, forgiveness, respect, and honor. This sends the message that we are all united in our efforts to stop abuse. These flags are displayed at local businesses in addition to being flown at the base camp of Denali each year during climbing season.
- Crisis Fund - made possible by generous donations from the annual Bachelor's Society Auction. This fund provides medical assistance, shelter, transportation and other services to aid women and children in need who are victims of violence. To access the funds please call and ask to speak with the domestic violence advocate.
- DV Group - Our behavioral health specialist offers group meetings to those who've experienced violence.
- Choose Respect March and Event in March - SCHC sponsors the Choose Respect March in the Talkeetna area as part of the statewide Governor's Choose Respect Initiative to bring domestic violence awareness to our communities. Following the March there is an event that includes speakers, flag-making, and activities for the entire family.
- October is Domestic Awareness Month. SCHC collaborates with the Governor's Initiative on Domestic Violence and Alaska Family Services to provide information about the impact that domestic abuse has on individuals and the community as a whole.